Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Dec. 8th, 2002

im wondering why when i drink, i get all congested. Anyone? it's one reason i dont drink before a good meal. my nose closes up and then i cant taste anything.



( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
Dec. 7th, 2002 11:58 pm (UTC)
Drink What?
If it's red wine, it might have sulfites in it. Many people are allegic to that. Check the label of whatever it is. On the other hand, if the drink sprays out through your nose, that might do it.

Dec. 8th, 2002 10:39 pm (UTC)
Re: Drink What?
On that note, some people have a "maximum exposure" to allergens before the symptoms start. You may try halving your "dose" of alcohol until you find a level that doesn't cause a reaction.
Dec. 8th, 2002 12:23 am (UTC)
I've had a couple friends that were allergic to any/all alcohol.
Dec. 8th, 2002 11:36 am (UTC)
Strange, I've drunk just a bit last friday and have had my nose closed at night since... Strange. I'll have to keep that in mind, to see if it is related.
Dec. 9th, 2002 12:39 pm (UTC)
Wine can do that to you. Howie is correct.
Dec. 9th, 2002 01:16 pm (UTC)
ive heard that sulfites are not so good for the body. what exactly do they do to us...or are they just an allergen.
Dec. 14th, 2002 09:32 pm (UTC)
Sulfites are a preservative (a sulfur compound), I think they are fairly basic and safe but I'm not sure. That's one of the reasons you are supposed to let red wine sit exposed to air so it can "breathe" - the sulfites react with oxygen and then don't affect the taste. But some people are highly allergic and it triggers an asthma reaction, sometimes very severe.

Do you get congested when you first start to drink or later on? If the former, probably allergies, if the latter, probably minor dehydration.

Of course, no one would ever drink so much that they get dehydrated...
Dec. 14th, 2002 06:09 am (UTC)
This is a late post, but last night I had canadian Club and got very stuffy and congested! Not to mention barfy feeling.
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )